By Sheila Young; Chairperson of Education & Leadership Committee
The Florida Council of the Blind (FCB) Scholarship Program consists of awards totaling $4,000, which are offered to exemplary students who are enrolled in academic education, professional, or technical training beyond the high school level.
The scholarship opportunities are:
Gayle M. Krause-Edwards Scholarship: $1,500.00– Available to an eligible applicant who is enrolled full-time and has completed one semester of college, in a course of study which will increase advancement potential in his/her chosen field
Teresa Blessing Scholarship: $1,000.00– Offered to an outstanding full-time college student
Timothy Turpin Scholarship: $1,000.00– Offered to a high school student graduating and exhibiting academic and leadership excellence planning to attend college full-time
Bobbie Probst Scholarship: $500.00– Awarded to an eligible applicant who is enrolled part-time in a college or university, or a student enrolled in a technical institute.
Applicants must have at least a 3.0 grade-point average (GPA) with the exception of the Gayle M. Krause-Edwards Scholarship.
The prestigious Gayle M. Krause-Edwards scholarship requires a 3.2 GPA and completion of one semester in a college or university. This scholarship is awarded to a student exhibiting outstanding academic and leadership achievements.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL SCHOLARSHIPS are as follows:
1. Applicant must be legally blind. Specifically, the applicant must have vision in the better eye of no more than 20/200 with corrective lenses OR may have vision greater than 20/200 in the better eye, but with a restricted field of vision of no more than 20 degrees.
2. Applicant must be a current resident of the State of Florida. However, the college or university doesn't have to be in Florida.
3. Applicant must have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma. (High school students who are graduating this term may also apply.)
4. Applicant must be enrolled in an accredited college, university, or technical institute or be accepted for enrollment. A letter of acceptance is required.
5. Applicant must be seeking a college degree or certificate.
6. Applicants who are full-time must carry at least 12 credit hours per semester/quarter to be eligible for the full-time scholarships. Those who are part-time must carry a minimum of 6 credit hours per semester/quarter to be eligible for the $500.00 scholarship.
SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS WHICH MUST ACCOMPANY THIS
APPLICATION INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
1. An explanatory or descriptive statement regarding vocational objectives and outlook for employment in a chosen field. Please include any awards or scholarships received or that are pending. Part-time students must include an explanation for part-time status (e.g., employed student, family responsibilities, etc.).
2. Two letters of recommendation.
3. Sealed official transcript from school currently or most recently attended.
4. Letter of acceptance from accredited college or university.
5. Certification of visual status (detailed physician’s eye report) MUST be mailed by certifying entity.
Certification of visual status and transcript(s) MUST be postmarked no later than April 15, 2017.
Please forward Certification of visual status and transcript(s) to:
Florida Council of the Blind
c/o Sheila Young
2304 Amherst Ave.
Orlando, FL 32804
Please e-mail application packet, all recommendation letters, and supporting documents electronically to: Sheilayoung125@att.net
All applications and documents must be received no later than April 15, 2017.
The Education and Leadership Committee will review all applications and select the four winners. Recipients will be notified prior to the annual state convention, and the winners will be announced during the Awards Ceremony on June 2, 2017 in Jacksonville, FL. All scholarship winners will be invited to attend the annual convention and will be given hotel accommodations for one night for two persons and two tickets to the Awards banquet. Additional banquet tickets may be purchased by the scholarship recipients.
The Florida Council of the Blind will pay transportation costs by train or bus. Prior approval for travel by plane is required. Mileage by automobile to the convention will be reimbursed on the following basis: $0.445 per mile.
For more information about our Scholarship program, you may contact Sheila Young at email@example.com or by phone at 407-425-9200.